De La Warr Parade,
A Short History Of The Sackville
Opened in 1890, the luxurious Sackville Hotel was built for the 7th Earl De La Warr and originally included a house for the use of his family. When the 7th Earl De La Warr died in 1896 Viscount Cantelupe became the 8th Earl De La Warr. In 1897 The Sackville Hotel was sold to Frederick Hotels who ran The Sackville for over 60 years.
In 1902 Bexhill became an Incorporated Borough by Royal Charter. It was the first time a Royal Charter had been delivered by motor car. To celebrate the town’s newfound status, the 8th Earl De La Warr, in conjunction with the Automobile Club of Great Britain and Ireland, organised the country’s first motor car races along De La Warr Parade in May 1902. Over 200 vehicles competed in the inaugural race, and thousands of spectators clamored to see cars reaching speeds in excess of 50 miles per hour.
In the summer of 1956, it was announced that The Sackville Hotel would close during the following winter ‘for economic reasons’. The Sackville Hotel was later bought by John Higgins in November 1957 where it enjoyed a short renaissance, but was again sold in 1959. The Sackville Hotel was eventually bought by Michael Burstin for conversion into flats in the summer of 1963.
The Sackville was skillfully converted into luxury apartments and now enjoys a Bar, Restaurant, Function Suite, Laundrette and Hair & Beauty salons. The Sackville has seen considerable expenditure over recent years, with the addition of the Penthouse floor, two lifts, entry phone security and a 24/7 Concierge / Custodian service, all of which make The Sackville a delightful place to live.